Thursday, November 18, 2010

Reflection 11 - Teaching 6-Graders

Today, I taught the six-graders with my group. We taught them about commercials and how they effect our feelings, what story they portray and how they (the companies) get us to buy their products. We divided into groups. One of us took a group of students and went and made a thirty-second commercial about a candy bar we had.

It was a lot of fun, but I noticed a major problem with my teaching: I felt like I was lacking control over my group of students. Geoff kept reminding me that there were things I needed to do with them. First thing was that he asked me whether or not I was coaching them. I immediately jumped in and tried to keep them from jumping off the walls. Granted, they were focused on the assignment, and I was not alone in teaching this group. However, that may have been my downfall, if I was alone, maybe I wouldn't have taken the initiative and taught instead of just standing. In truth, I didn't just stand, but it sure felt like it.

Anyway, as I said, I tried to coach when my partner was away, but the students wouldn't listen to me right away. I think why is because I hadn't exerted authority over them yet. I felt bad, I felt very useless, and like a horrible teacher. Also, after we finished the video, Geoff told me that a teacher would get his students on task. Problem was, we had nothing except the worksheet to have them work on. It felt like giving them busywork, but I decided that it was the only I could do without having my group of students not distract the others. Another problem arose: they had forgotten their worksheets in the other room. Even when they went back to look for them, some had lost their worksheets. Fortunately, I think they kept busy enough just looking for their pens and worksheets that they did not distract the other students.

At the same time, the students were really focused on the assignment. Almost every five minutes, one of the students in my group would want to practice doing the commercial again. They seemed to enjoy making it, and most of them took the lead in making their movies (from what I gather from the other groups, too). So, in that area, we did a good job of keeping the students on task for the most part. My group even quieted down when another group in the same room was going to record their movie, and watched instead of making noise.

Looking at my own teaching, my change is that I need to take the initiative when teaching others. I cannot be afraid and just stand around. That's how I'm going to better next time. Take the initiative, take control by exerting authority, and giving/gaining respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment