Thursday, November 11, 2010

Reflection 10 - Charisma and Middle School

So, I was listening to Jess Carter talk today about how he got into teaching Middle School, and while I had no revelations, it made me think about Middle School as an option. The one thing he said that really surprised me was the fact that the kids were fun to be with and interact with. That's something I had not assumed before, because, as I've said, my Middle School experience was Hell for me. Granted, I created a lot of that Hellish-like atmosphere in my Middle School for myself by being immature, but the kids never really treated me with respect; save the ones in the Mormon circle and a couple outside that circle. I did try to preach the gospel there, but I always did it with the wrong approach, and ended up arguing angerly with other students. There was also that one time when someone jammed an umbrella in my butt—a very unpleasant experience. Thus, anyone can see that I had a bad Middle School experience, which is why I never wanted to teach Middle School because I never wanted to deal with kids like that again.

Jess's experience seems to be different. The kids, while they have their whacky tendencies, tend to be fun in his class. I'll admit he's smart about he teaches, and he teaches in a way that's really attractive to students. I know because I went to American Fork Junior High to watch his class; I thought it was amazing how he kept it under control. So, after listening to him, and also seeing his class earlier in the semester, I will give Middle School another chance.

I also heard Shum talking to a student about teaching after the Seminar. The student was “torn” between teaching High School and Middle School. I don't remember the reasons that student had; all I remember was Shum saying that when you student-teach, you will probably figure out what type of school is best for you. I felt like that was important to note because when I came into this major, I was set on just being a web designer—like Jess was set on being an Autoshop teacher. What Shum said was important because I need to have an open heart to the possibilities. If my heart is hardened, then I will not know where to be or what to do.

One thing that worries me though is that I lack charisma. In Jess, Geoff, Shum, and other good teachers, I see charisma as one of their better attributes. Because of their charisma, they make good teachers since that attribute is connected with leadership skills, and people interaction skills. I really sink in the social/people skills department in waters that I do not know how to swim in. To me, this means teaching for me will be harder than others (at least this is what I believe).

I have no idea what I can about my lack of charisma; there's probably very little I can do to change that. However, the way I teach can be changed, tweaked, and improved.

No comments:

Post a Comment