Thursday, October 7, 2010

Reflection 5

High school is what I wanted to teach, yet before I went to Skyline this morning, I kinda had a dreadful feeling that the kids would make fun of us, or just me. I don't know why I thought this, because when we arrived the students cheered for us for coming from BYU. It's probably my paranoid side of me that always imagines worse case scenarios. Regardless, I felt welcome at Skyline today.

The class was fun to watch, I had no thoughts at the time that Alicia was teaching about my own teaching methods (I was trying to analyze hers). However, after the class left, I felt a little intimidated by Emily and the others because of their excitement for teaching. They seemed so... strong, so willing. I felt like I lacked that motivation. I don't understand why, but my motivation was not springing up like a magnificent fountain of everlasting water.

I'm not saying that I don't want to teach, but I don't think I have that level of enthusiasm for teaching. It worries me because I wonder if anyone in this major really needs that level of enthusiasm to be a good student, to be a good learner, to be a good teacher.

Emily asked me in the car what I wanted to teach. I told her I wanted to teach High School, probably something with Multimedia (web design, hopefully). I want to be able to teach what I love to do, and I love web design. I think it would do people good to learn web design since the internet is becoming more and more required in our lives. From what I can tell, Utah itself seems to be foolishly cutting web design out of its systems (Alicia told us that it had cut from the school programs, and there is no web design major at BYU. Just two to three classes on it.), which will create a problem in schools. I think if kids want to learn it, they should be allowed to learn it and no class should be cut off from them. This is a matter of necessity.

I will teach web design. Somehow, it all comes down to how I will play my cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment